|Course Type||Course Code||No. Of Credits|
Semester and Year Offered: Semester-3, Monsoon 2018
Course Coordinator and Team: Fariha Siddiqui, Dr Sunita Singh and Sheetal Nagpal
Email of course coordinator: email@example.com
The specific objectives of the course are to help students:
- Develop skills of conducting activities with children.
- Plan developmentally and contextually appropriate activities for children.
- Provide hands on experience to students for their development as entrepreneurs of early childhood centres
- Sensitize students to the early childhood setting
- Develop skills for becoming a professional
After completing the course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the importance of stories for children
- Develop skills of story-telling
- Know different types of story-telling techniques and use them
- Reflect on children’s literature for different age-groups
- Analyse relationship between play and development
- Plan variety of play activities for different age-groups
- Know the therapeutic benefits of play
- Use play for development of various domains in children
- Prepare material for enhancing play.
- Use of available resources for child’s engagement and play
- Develop resource/activity log for children’s activity
Brief description of modules/ Main modules:
Workshop 1. Material development for enhancing play of young children (1 credit)
These workshops will be focused on preparing stimulation and educational material for young children. The students will be engaged in brainstorming on the needs of young children (including children with disabilities) as per their reflections from their field attachment and then will be helped to prepare play material/toys for young children. This will be done to help students gain self-confidence and engage in creative thinking. Students will pick up skills in preparing materials such as variety of puppets, educational play materials, sensory stimulating materials etc. with which infants, toddlers, preschoolers and older children including children with disabilities can play. Experts from field will be invited to share their innovative ideas on making and use of variety of play materials for appropriate stimulation of young children.
Assessment: Material development for enhancing play of young children
Creating and submitting material
Maintaining written log of material
Attendance and participation
Presentation on ‘how a material can be used to enhance play of young children’
- Centre for Early Childhood Education & Development & CARE India. Baccho ke liye khel aur khilone. New Delhi: CARE India, 20p.
- Gibbs, M.J. & Miller, L.G. (2015). Making Toys for Infants and Toddlers: Using Ordinary Stuff for Extraordinary Play. Gryphon House, Inc., 160 p.
- Henriques, J. (2011). Made to Play!: Handmade Toys and Crafts for Growing Imaginations. Shambhala Publications, 207 p.
- Khanna, S. (1981).Dynamic folk toys. Indian toys based on the simple application of principles of science and technology. Available at: http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/dynamicfolktoys.pdf
- Engel, S. (2012). The emergence of storytelling during the first three years. Edited from the Zero to Three journal (Dec. 1996/Jan. 1997). Zero to Three. National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families, nd Web, 2.
- Engel, S. (2016). Storytelling in the first three years. Zero to Three. Retrieved from: https://www.zerotothree.org/resources/1057-storytelling-in-the-first-three-years
- Reading with babies from birth. Retrieved from: http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/reading_babies.html
- Greene, E. (1996). Storytelling: Art and Technique: Art and Technique. ABC-CLIO.
- Carger, C. L. (1993). Louie comes to life: Pretend reading with second language emergent readers. Language Arts, 70(7), 542-547.
- Nathanson, A. I., & Rasmussen, E. E. (2011). TV viewing compared to book reading and toy playing reduces responsive maternal communication with toddlers and preschoolers. Human Communication Research, 37(4), 465-487.
- Mobile creches Khel Pitara: Janm se teen varsh ke bachon ke liye, 2014
- Swaminathan, M & Daniel, P. (2004).Play activities for child development. A guide to preschool teachers.New Delhi: National Book Trust.
- IGNOU (1996).DECE-1 Organizing child care services.Block 5 Play activities for preschoolers-1.