|Course Type||Course Code||No. Of Credits|
Semester and Year Offered: 5th Semester (Monsoon Semester 2019)
Course Coordinator and Team: Mr Akha Kaihrii Mao, Dr Monal Dewle and Dr Shubhra Gupta
Email of course coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-requisites: Semester 4
Course Objectives/ Description: Learning a foreign language is essential for the students of Tourism and Hospitality as it is an excellent way to make them aware of a new culture and diverse perspectives arising from a different social, political and economic background. It is aimed promotes self-reflection in trying to establish one’s identity in relation to the new culture.
Course Outcomes: After this course, students will be able to:
- use simple phrases and sentences to describe what he/she does, where he/she lives and to talk about people he/she knows;
- familiarize names, words and very simple sentences, on notices, posters or in catalogues; and communicate on social media and look for information that he/she needs ;
- use basic grammatical structures which are important for basic communication to take place;
- identify familiar words and basic phrases concerning him or herself, his/her family and immediate surroundings when spoken slowly and clearly; and
- write short, simple texts like in postcards, invitations and informal letters or emails with a few details going beyond the basic information of name, time and place.
Brief description of modules/ Main modules:
- Topics and Vocabulary: in this module, students will learn the basics of French language, French terms and learn basic communication in French.
- Grammar: In this module, students will also learn how to give advice using the imperative mode and other expressions in French and describe common activities and narrate their personal experiences
- Skills: In this module students will practice to speak in French with the help of Role-plays.
Assessment Details with weights:
Worksheets – pronunciation exercises 30% (Through the semester)
- Presentation 20%
- Mid-Semester 20%
- End-Semester 30%
- Chappey, Elisa et al., Le nouveau taxi ! 1, Paris : Hachette, 2009 (textbook and workbook)
- Hugot, Catherine et al.,Alter Ego + 1 : méthode de français : A1, Paris : Hachette,2012
- Grégoire, Maïa, Grammaire progressive du français – niveau débutant, Cléinternational, 2010
- www.tv5monde.com (International French TV channel)
- En.rfi.fr (International French Radio)
2.Youtube channels and podcasts for learning French :
3.A couple of French films from below can be selected and screened as part of the class activities:
- Bienvenue Chez Les Chtis (The film talks about French stereotypes within France)
- Molier (is a mixture of Moliere’s plays. He to French what Shakespeare is to English)
- Intouchables (Contemporary comedy that touches the issues of racism, community service and class differences)
- Effroyables jardins (is an emotional comedy about ordinary folk showing resistance against Germans when they were occupied during World War-2 )